The Perfect Cure for Summer Boredom

Janice Campbell

Hi, I'm Janice Campbell, and I'm glad you're here! My mission is to help other homeschooling moms focus on the things that matter- family, literacy, creativity, growth, and service (and for me, each of those is grounded in the love of the Lord)- rather than being entangled by the mundane. I want to share a vision of the delightful adventure your family can enjoy while homeschooling through high school, and to give you a peek at the opportunities you can explore- entrepreneurship, travel, early college, talent development, and more. I'll also share favorite poems and reviews of good resources, as well as a dollop of opinion on mostly education-related topics. Subscribe to my RSS feed, and join the adventure!

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. HSB Suzanne says:

Well-stated and very timely. Thank you for sharing this.

2. amanda says:

LOVE this post.

Thanks!!

Love your blog too but this one hit the spot.
    My kids aren’t old enough to tell me they’re board yet but I will remember this when they do.
    Thanks!!
    Amanda

3. Kimmie says:

…boredom: a banned word in our house. Oh, that and the word: MINE.

;-) There is always something to do. Always. My kids have learned to tap their creativity and the word(s) thankfully are never spoken.

Praise to God.

Kimmie
    mama to 7
    one homemade and 6 adopted

4. Linda says:

This is a banned word at our house. I always reminded my children that the assumption behind the word “bored” was that the world existed for their benefit. The Christian view, however, is that we are “not our own” and we serve Another who is greater than ourselves. Creativity did grow when time was sometimes feeling “too plentiful”!

5. Bobbie says:

I’ve tried to have my kids have an on-going list of things they want to do but don’t have time for, either when they think of things throughout the year, or, at least, at the beginning of the summer. Then, through the summer, and other ‘down’ times, they can each look at it and see what strikes their fancy (assuming the chores are under control… ), and do it. Otherwise they feel as though they’ve accomplished nothing some days (which I also tell them is okay now and then).

6. This reminds me of my oldest son’s favorite Saturday joke, “Mom, I’m bored…and my room IS clean!”

7. I’ll agree that boredom is a rather selfish concept. But I have to note that ennui was coined at least by 1660, tedium around the same time. Dull has been an Engish word since the 1200s, although I can’t tell when it came to be used to describe something as uninteresting or monotonous.
    Perhaps the word boredom is somewhat recent, but the selfish state of mind that leads to its usage is probably not new. It is a great thing to help your kids to learn that the world does not owe them constant entertainment and that they might even find a total lack of boredom more oppressive and dissatisfying.

8. Annie Kate says:

Our kids also are given chores if they are bored and therefore they have developed many interests over the years.

I love the post you put together on the topic. Very inspiring.

Annie Kate

9. Yvonne says:

What a great summer topic! I always told my children they were not living up to their God-given potential if they said they were “bored.” Our children were always given jobs at the mention of the word. They soon learned to control their speech and be creative with their time.

1. June 30, 2009

[...] was honored to have last week’s post on The Perfect Cure for Boredom featured in the first section of this week’s huge and wonderful Carnival of Homeschooling. Be [...]